Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Tonight, we came home from work to an already cooked supper thanks to the good ol' crock pot! I rarely ever cook a real, hearty dish any more! I needed a yummy meat & potatoes meal so I picked up just that when I went grocery shopping over the weekend.
With the cold weather moving in today,
this was the perfect comfort food to come home to!
And since I have a hard time functioning in the morning, I did most of the prep work on Monday night!
I first cut up a yellow onion in to chunks and browned them in a HOT, HOT skillet of olive oil & butter mixed. I didn't cook them or sauté them, just got the edges nice and crispy then threw them in the crock pot.
 While my pan was reheating, I generously salted & peppered my 2 lb chuck roast.
{Our blood pressure is fine everyone! It's kosher salt & there has to be enough to flavor the whole meat & potatoes!!} Ha!
 Then, seared all sides of the roast for about 1 minute each in the HOT, HOT skillet! Again, not cooking the meat, just getting the edges nice & brown. Once done, I put the meat in the crock pot on top of the onions.
 This next part is where I felt really fancy & kind of like a real chef. I deglazed the pan with some red wine vinegar & poured that mixture over the top of my meat in the crock pot. Deglazed; GOOGLE it. It's life-changing.  
 So this is the finished product of my prep work.
Covered it with a lid & put it in the fridge overnight - again, not necessary - but if you hit snooze 6186165168 times in the morning like me, you'll want to do prep work the night before.
 With NO help from a snugly boy and the 2 boxer girls keeping my feet warm on this cold & blustery morning, I pried myself out of bed a little earlier to chop potatoes! Just washed & quartered up some potatoes, peel on; and tossed them in the crock pot.
 Add a can or so of beef broth, a sprig of fresh rosemary
{just because we had some & I don't know what else to do with it} & BAM!
Cover it & cook on low for 8 hours...
or quicker if you're one of those people that get to stay home for a living.
 Delicious, tender, yummy meat & taters'!
Blake cooked Paula Dean's Corn Casserole as a side.
We ate 2nds tonight ya'll!
 
xoxo - the Barnetts


No comments:

Post a Comment