Friday, June 1, 2012

SUYL - Living Room

I am so excited to finally have a chance to link up with the Show Us Your Life series over at Kelly's Korner blog. Every Friday, Kelly posts a topic & her followers (she has THOUSANDS!) are able to add a link to their own blogs where they have published a post about that topic. Lots & lots of bloggers participate in SUYL so its a great place to get ideas for anything & everything - food, decorating, parenting, parties & even dating!
For the next several weeks, the theme for SUYL is Tour of Homes....first up is the living room!

This is a view of our living room from the entry. We recently had our carpet pulled up in this area and had this new floor laid - it looks like hardwood, but it is actually porcelain tile! I absolutely love that I have the look of hardwood flooring but the durability of tile. While it was being installed, my husband scratched a scrap piece of tile with a lawn mower blade & it didn't leave a mark! With two big dogs in the house & a baby, its nice not to worry about scratches & spills ruining the floor.  It makes the room look much larger & the house just feels cleaner with the carpet gone. The only negative thing I can say is, it's too bad we don't own stock in Swiffer Sweeper ;)
 An open floor plan was a must when we built our house 4 years ago. This is the bar looking into the kitchen. I purchased these bar stools from Target last year.
 Here's the TV wall with the back door there on the left. I'm not satisfied at all with the shelving underneath the TV, but I haven't found a piece of furniture the right height & width that I like to go there just yet. I'm considering having something custom built, but for now this will do.
 It's about time for the baby swing to go because we rarely ever use it. When its gone, I will put an accent chair in its place. The canvases behind the swing were custom made from photos we took of these tornado fountain things we saw in Las Vegas last year.
 We bought this furniture about a year and a half ago. A local furniture store was having a sale one weekend & we went to look for a new recliner...
 ...we purchased a new recliner AND this crazy couch & ottoman set. The picture doesn't do it much justice but our couch is truly lime green! I really do love it though because it is so unique & comfortable & it matches the big canvas above that was in the room previously.
 This wall above the couch is no where near complete. I just got these photo canvases recently & we put them on existing nails in the wall just for the sake of hanging them up. My friends & I are making a trip to Home Goods this weekend, so I'm hoping to find some things to help fill the space & I have a few Pintrest ideas in mind as well. I'll post an update when its complete.
This is by far the best accessory in the living room...
Hope you all have a great weekend!
xoxo - the Barnett's

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your sectional and coffee table!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this room! My inlaws used to have this same kind of flooring, just in a lighter color, it was really nice and does hold up very well. The couch & coffee table are my favorites of this room. I'm all about color so I'm definitely drawn to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kelly's Korner too. I think I've been following her for a few years now.
    As a Mainer, I love hardwood floors but with the expense and maintenance I would take flooring over them anytime! Your floors look so gorgeous!
    You're home is beautifully decorated. The mix of colors and textures is wonderful.
    You've done an amazing job!
    I'm having so much fun visiting SUYL participants. I've been able to get some great decorating ideas and see some lovely living rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your brightly coloured ottoman and pillows! They are so funky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that ottoman!!!!! Adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete